Monday, September 17, 2012

I Just Don't Wanna!

There are days when doing it, any of it, are downright daunting.  With my husband doing well in his job, which requires a ton of his time and, consequently, mine, and the five kids, one of which is a 5 month old, days and nights are nothing but work.  We've gotten into such a cycle of work that this has become the norm.  So what happens?  We feel guilty when we aren't working!  How sick is that?  But it shows us how adaptable and capable our bodies and minds are.  All this working was a slow progression, with the addition of each child, and the promotions of my husband at his job.  We've reached a fevered pitch, and we in danger of burnout if we don't start stopping.

So there are times, and I suppose always will be, when we wake up and say, I just don't wanna do it today! We are most likely depleted in some way, emotionally or physically or both.  Our resolve is paper thin, and any temptation can and most likely will be succumbed to.  So how can I keep the damage to a minimum until my resolve is more sustaining?  Remembering that living healthy is a lifestyle change, and not a temporary state is important.  There are ebbs and flows in life, in every aspect of it.  When it comes to health, on days like this, when we want to give up and give in, I say, just relax about it.  Calmly remember why I'm losing weight and exercising, and what my goal is.  Also remembering how far I've come since the start of the journey.  I have to go back to my motivators and get juiced up again be watching some weight loss youtube videos.

I'm also learning to be honest about how I feel about eating, and about what and how much I eat.  I suppose this is what accountability looks like.  I'm a closet eater, and have been for a long time, and have started doing so with my husband and children.  This is a dangerous habit, especially because kids are really smart, and pick up on my habits, good or bad.  And guess what?  Yep, my mom was a closet eater, meaning, she used to keep a stash all for herself, and I always found it because I always knew where to look.  Anyway, talking about how I was feeling with my husband helped a lot.  I was honest, I told him that I felt like stuffing my face with, well, just about anything, it didn't matter what.  My strength and energy for that moment (actually it was a few hours) was really low, and my goals looked a long way off.  But if you talk to other people about it, they can be objective, and remind you really well of why you're doing it.  Basically talk you down off the ledge.  And it actually worked!  I didn't overeat, I ate within my daily limits, with the help of a midday hemp protein shake.  I'm going to give myself props and say how proud I am of myself!! This is a big hurdle, although I didn't realize it until I was re-telling the tale.  Overcoming the hard days are possible, if you arm yourself ahead of time, because they will come.  Talk to someone about it.  If anyone wants to talk to me on a hard day, please find me on my Facebook page  or Twitter @Beth_Spellacy.  

Luckily, I wrote the beginning of this post on a day that I was tired and emotionally worn out, and not from trauma, just the stress and pressures of everyday life.  Why lucky?  Because I wrote it when it was happening, so it's very real.  I'm finishing it the day after, and I can tell you that the feeling does pass, thank you God!  So I know these days will come again, and I'll be ready.  Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment