Monday, October 8, 2012

Why am I So Afraid?

After reading, listening and watching a lot of books and media, it has become clear that I have to make some radical changes in my diet. The fact is inevitable, I suppose. First, i'll explain how I came to rhis conclusion, then I'll tell what the changes are.

All these years, and all these programs have always been done with a certain amount of safety.

I've known this fact for a long time, probably a really long time, but I am scared to death to take the plunge. What in the world could be so scary, you say? Well, basically I would have to say goodbye to 2 of my main sources of comfort. Plus the fact that I've relied on my buddies for 25 years! On my left side would be my old friend sugar, and on my right side, meet carbohydrate. They have seen me through some tough times, and have helped me recoup after a long day. This is a profound realization to me, to be faced with the idea of stopping my consumption of these wonderful beings actually is sending me into a panic. Can you say addiction? I never, NEVER would have categorized myself in that stigma, but now I know it must be true. Of course in response to this panic, where do I turn? You guessed it! S&C!  Once coming to this conclusion, I engaged in a full blown binge.  And, boy, am I pissed!  Pissed at all the people who were bringing this reality to the forefront of my mind.  Just so you know, all you folks who think that it's funny to  torture sugary people, I hate you!

Ok, my tantrum is over, the panicky feeling is not, however.  I know what must be done, and I intend to do it.  My husband ensures me that I am strong enough to do this, I wish I could be so sure.  But, I know that I'm in for a slew of medical issues is I don't get rid of this vice.

So, I am formally making an announcement.  As of tomorrow (or today, since you are reading this when I post it), I am off sugar and white flour!  I will be writing about my experience in detail, in case anyone is contemplating this huge undertaking as well, so you know what to expect.  I've read that it takes about 3 days for the sugar cravings to wear off, let's just see if they are right.  If they are not, then I will put forth the truth to all.

As a side note, there will be only one thing I will allow sugar in, and that is my coffee.  That would be 1 sugar cube of added sugar a day.  And I intend to wean myself off that, so it would be sugarless coffee, too.  Another side note, I don't intend to become a sugar substitute fanatic.  Personally, aside from truvia (stevia), I hate artificial sweeteners.  Don't like the taste or the aftertaste. so this is for real.  I'm not just substituting everything sugary with its splenda twin.  I intend these changes to aim toward health, and I don't believe a lot of chemicals ingested are the correct direction.

Wish me luck!  I will see you on the other side of the bakery aisle!  That would be, what, produce?  Well, whatever...


*Disclaimer: Despite all said above, no, I have not had a diagnosis of diabetes, or pre-diabetes or anything of the like.  This is all done of my own free will...and I think I might just be out of my mind.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, good for you! Also, this is really weird, because I was considering the same experiment, after my daughter's birthday this week (a nice time period until Thanksgiving, if I can make it for a week to start). There are variations on this: Paleo, ketogenic (higher fat, moderate protein), Atkins (higher protein, moderate fat), etc. Just as you said, I would like to start with removing the wheat and sugar, to see how it goes.

    What are you planning to replace it with calorie-wise?

    ReplyDelete